Saturday, December 28, 2013

{sayonara, synthetics. #1}

Now that the hustle and bustle of Thanksgiving and Christmas has passed, it's time to get back to making this house cozy. I've already told  you how I plan to spend next year on a "me & martha" project. I've also decided to rid this home of plastics and synthetics and anything else that is more toxic than good. I don't intend on going over board with it...I just want to feel good about the things that we purchase. And use to feed ourselves.
I have no idea how long it will take, but I plan on replacing at least 1 thing a week, until I'm satisfied.
To get the ball rolling, I took a trip to Williams-Sonoma (pricey, yes...but we are able to splurge a little these days) and got these glass mixing bowls to replace the incomplete (and cracked) set of melamine ones we've been using for almost 8 years. I also got stainless steel measuring cups & spoons to replace the plastic ones (that may or may not have been chomped on by the disposal a time or two...).
 Several months ago, I got a new set of stainless steel cookware and gave the old scratched up, nonstick coated set the boot. Food immediately started tasting better!
I will continue to replace plastic stuff with glass or metal and will also switch out all the cleaners for natural (and probably handmade) ones, clothes made from synthetic fibers (this will probably be the most expensive part, but I want real fabrics on my body!)
I'm going to attempt to sew my own set of these awesome things.
I'm going to start adding to my compost bin. We may be planning on moving next year, but the new people can still benefit from it.

I guess this is my New Year's Resolution. To detoxify.
What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment